When I got up this morning and saw 3 loads of laundry in need of my attention, I thought about skipping church to attend to them. I reminded myself they'd still be here when I got back so I jumped in the shower and got ready. Andy Stanley started a new series today entitled, "He's Still Got the Whole World in His Hands". Sometimes that's easy to forget when our nation is facing one of the worst economic times in its history; when people are losing their jobs everyday. Andy talked about how quickly we give God credit when everything in our world is good but that we don't always remember He's still with us when they're not. One of the scripture references he used was Romans 8:28 - "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him..." and he added that sometimes it just takes a while.
I never thought I'd be 27 (and a half) and still single. I assumed that I'd go to college, graduate, and get married because that was just the next step. Little did I know. Those closest to me know how bad I want a husband - and eventually, a family. If ever I felt like I had a "calling", it was to be a wife and mother. Not a doctor or a lawyer or property manager, for that matter - but a wife and a mom. I've had a fantastic example of what both of those should be. My mom is one of the most amazing people I've ever had the privilege of knowing. She's not just my mom, but she's one of my best friends. She's the first person I call when something great or something terrible happens. She prays for me daily. She and my dad have been married for 36 years and although their marriage isn't without flaw, they are happy and they've overcome many hurdles along the way. For years, my mom played the part of Mom and Dad because my Dad worked nights and we didn't see much of him during the week. After working all day, she still had enough energy to shuttle me back and forth to soccer and softball practice/games; Bart to art lessons; fix supper (even if it was fast food); and read the Bible with us before we went to bed. I can't remember how old I was when we started reading the Bible together but we would read a chapter a night and take turns reading out loud. If the chapters were short, we'd read two. I remember at the time thinking, "ugh, can't we just take one night off" but Mom was faithful to lead by example. We read through the entire Bible twice. She's an incredible woman and I'm so thankful for our relationship and the example she's been to me. Even though I'm not certain of when I'll get married - or who the lucky guy will be (HA!) - I know that "in all things God works...".
Bart (my little brother) is 24 today! I really wish he'd stop getting older so I could too! :) Happy Birthday, Bart!! I'm sorry I can't be there to celebrate your day, but I love you and I hope this next year will be the best yet!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment