My daddy loves oldies music. When I was little he had a green Chevrolet pickup and I would stand next to him as he drove (probably not very safe) and we would listen to his oldies. To this day, I know more oldies songs than any other 27 year old that I know. One of the songs that I will always remember us singing (and dancing to) is "Uptown Girl" by Billy Joel. My favorite part was the "Whoa-oa-oa-oa-oa-oa-oa...". When I decided to start this blog, I knew it would have to come up with a name for it. I chose Uptown Girl because it's a sentimental reminder of my daddy and because living in Hotlanta is a little more "uptown" than MS (although MS is home and always will be).
Yesterday was a great day. The sermon at church was about balancing your life. With the economy being in a state of shambles, it is important to save more and spend less if possible. Andy Stanley is a great speaker and I always enjoy hearing him. He talked about how dissatisfied we (as Americans) have become with what we already have. His visual aide was an older model television (not a flat screen). He talked about how we are constantly buying new products that come out just because it's the latest and "best" thing - not because what we already have is broken and needs to be replaced. He even mentioned shopping in general, which is one of my absolute favorite past times but not necessary.
After church, my best friend, Kate, and I cooked several appetizers to take to her boyfriend's house to watch the Superbowl. I won't lie and pretend I'm an NFL fan because I'm not. I love to watch SEC football (specifically MS State when they're winning - which, let's face it, isn't all that often) but I know nothing about any of the teams in the NFL. I knew that the Pittsburgh Steelers were playing - thanks to several Steeler fans that are my friends on Facebook, but I didn't even know who they were playing against (Arizona Cardinals) until yesterday....and I sure didn't know who to cheer for! Oh well! It was a good game and we had fun stuffing our faces all night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment